I have provided a step-by-step guide for those who might want to get started on their lanterns, or who may want to make some additional lanterns for the event.
They are so, so fun to make and super easy too!
Okay . . . Are you ready?
- Plastic bottles (we like 1 or 2 liter soda/water bottles, but any plastic jar will do)
- White School Glue (like Elmer's)
- Soft bristle paint brush
- Hole punch
- String or ribbon for handle
- Tissue paper of various colors
- Glow stick or LED (The library will be handing out glow sticks to those with lanterns at the event, but feel free to bring your own!)
1. Take your emptied, clean and dry plastic bottle and cut of the top at the widest part of the bottle. We pinched the plastic to make a small cut. Then the scissor easily cut around the entire top. You will have a wide-mouth cylinder, with the bottle's bottom intact.
2. Chose a design for your lantern. Get creative! You can tear tissue paper or make detailed designs. Work with scissors, and cut out your shapes. Sometimes it helps to double or triple-up your paper, since it is very thin, depending on how transparent you would like your design.
5. When the bottle is dry, use your hole punch to add two holes to the top of the bottle, one across from the other. Tie on your string for a secure handle.
6. Add your light source (we recommend an LED tea light or glow stick) and enjoy your beautiful, unique glowing lantern!